Sunday, May 6, 2012

Our latest guest

The World- Horizon volonteer from Bali, Jannick, just came for a visit. 
He used his holidays to help out at the Oasis, to make new shelves for the sewing room and to renovate the greenhouse. 
A thumbs up for him spending his vacation like a hero! :)

Jannick with WK, Astawa and Dion, cutting the wood for the shelves.







Our new shelves in the sewing room.

The boys, renovating the greenhouse.







We also tried to climb the volcano, Rinjani. With 3726 m it is the third highest Volcano in Indonesia and the hardest mountain to climb in South East Asia.

Looking back...I should have known that trying to climb it wasn't such a good idea for me.

The trip was supposed to go on for three days...I had to return on the second day because it was just too hard for me, so I only made two days. But, hey, I climbed 2000 meters altitude on 8 km!!! 
So basically I made it to the rim of the volcano at, I believe, 2700 m altitude. The view was amazing. You could see the Gili Islands, Gunung Agung on Bali and even Sumbawa!
The inside of the crater of the Rinjani is also spectacular to see. There is a little volcano inside the crater lake which is actually the still active part of the volcano.

Jannick made it much further than me, he almost reached the top
Way to go, Jannick!

This was our small group. We were picked up like this from the hotel. :)
This is where 'the climb' officially starts. We had to walk to that point which was already pretty hard. When we got there I was like 'What the heck, I am already exhausted and not even on Rinjani territory!'
One of the porters. I do admire those people! They carry really heavy stuff and are still much faster than I am! :D Oh and this was also a part of our way. The guide kept telling me stories about the people who slipped and died there...didn't really encourage me to go any further!
The view down.

The crater with the little volcano inside the crater lake. Unfortunately it was a little cloudy that day.
Our tents and...
...our neighbours.
Me in the morning. It was so cold up there!
The Gili's.
The rim.
The view out of our tent with the summit in the back.
The porters cooking our breakfast.

At the time Jannick was going for the summit I was already back at our hotel, the Rinjani Mountain Garden, enjoying a cool beer.
So I didn't really regret turning around on the second day. ;)

Since these were the things that expected me back down the decision to turn around wasn't all too hard! ;)

 

 Of cause Jannick also met Tut Ite and his wife.

 



2 comments:

  1. Sei nicht traurig, dass Du es nicht bis zum Top geschafft hast. Du hast schon viel gesehen. Und es gibt immer noch ein morgen, wenn es Dich denn kitzelt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, ich weis wie anstrengend das ist.
    Sei stolz auf dich, mit dem Kraterrand hast du quasi den schönsten Teil geschafft.Den Blick von dort wirst du im Leben nicht vergessen und wenn doch, haben wir noch deine erste Postkarte :-)
    LG Papa

    ReplyDelete